Monday, January 18, 2016

Week 24 - Carlos Morales. Chikingunya. Trainer!

Hey Guys!

So guess what happened this week?

Carlos Morales got baptized! I haven't written about him before, but he's really cool. His uncle, Cristopher, is a convert of about two years, and is 20 years old. Carlos and his little brothers have had a really hard life, and after many challenges, they came to live with Christopher, their 20-year-old uncle and also their grandma. It was very difficult to get Carlos baptized. Although Cristopher is a member and a good friend, the grandma wanted nothing to do with us Mormon missionaries at first. For most of the time I've lived here and visited them I had never seen this person; only heard her shouts. As we kept visiting and teaching Carlos and Cristopher she stopped shouting as much, and one night, we actually saw her and talked to her! And it was a calm, almost friendly talk. The next time we saw her was the night before the baptism, and she had made us hot dogs! (Yep, they eat hot dogs in Guatemala). It's very cool to be able to work and teach them, and to see this special miracle. Carlos has a lot of faith, and this Gospel came very naturally to him. It's been very cool to see him accept the gospel and grow.

Bad news this week: One day, on divisions with Elder Aguilar, our zone leader, I started to have a killer headache. Then it started traveling, out of my head and into my neck (which is possibly one of the weirdest sensations ever) and before I knew it I was dying all over. When we got home, I could hardly plan, and as soon as we finished I went straight to my bed and collapsed. Chikingunya. Awful. Awful. Awful. Luckily, I recovered fairly quick, and now I'm working again at a basically normal level. 

Also, it's that time again: CHANGES.

Elder Franco, my first companion, finally left me here, alone, to fend for myself in Zacapa. And I'M TRAINING. Tomorrow, a brand-new Elder Juarez or Sanchez or Ramos (or some other Latino name) is gonna arrive here in Zacapa, and we're gonna take his suitcases and everything to my apartment, y despues, nos vamos! Trabajaremos como perros y empezaremos nuestro compaƱerismo. [Translation: “…and after, we’re off and running!  We will work like dogs and thus begins our new companionship.”]

Wow.
What happened to the time?
I'll write more about my adventures the next time! I love you all! Thank you for your support!

-- 

Elder Jeffrey Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment