Monday, August 31, 2015

Week 3

¡Hola Amigos y Familia!

How are you guys? Elder Russell Nelson (one of the top leaders of the church) was supposed to come visit us in Guatemala this week, but due to complications with political events that I am not allowed to write back about, he didn’t come. Instead, there is supposed to be some kind of video broadcast devotional tomorrow.

A couple funny things happened this week. We were practicing our teaching skills with some of the Latino missionaries, and I was able to understand every word that they said when they were giving their lesson. They could also understand me, more or less, when my compañero and I were giving our lesson, too. That was really awesome! I also had to give a talk in sacrament meeting solo en español (only in Spanish), too. That was really scary, but it was very rewarding afterwards. I have to write another one eventually, though. When I get out into the field, my first Sunday, I will probably have to give a talk, like all of the elders back home, but I’ll be speaking to an entirely Guatemalteco congregation.

I just want to get out into the field!!!! I know I won’t be able to understand a word they say, but I’ll do whatever I can to help the people I meet in whatever way possible. If the Lord is with me, then I will be able to do all things, and eventually, that means I’ll be able to speak fluently too. For now, I’m putting as much of the doctrine of Christ into my heart as possible and learning a couple things about Spanish along the way. At this point, I theoretically understand a lot of Spanish, but putting it into practice is very different.

I love all of you guys! Thank you for the e-mails, and for everything that you guys have done for me! I still haven’t seen much of Guatemala yet, but after I leave the CCM and get my camera back, I’ll take plenty of pictures! Love you all!

-- 

Elder Jeffrey Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment