Monday, April 11, 2016

Week 36 - the end of Zacapa?

Hey Everyone!
Ok, guess what? i've now lived in Zacapa about 7 and 1/2 months (for all you who have been missionaries or will be, 5 changes) and this week, i finished training Elder Flores. When the next change comes, it is very likely that i'll be going to another part of Guatemala to serve. i'm not sure, but i've never seen a missionary stay in an area longer than 5 changes, so we'll see where the Lord says i should be next week.

The work here in Zacapa's been moving pretty slowly when it comes to investigators, but this week, three less-actives came back to church! we've been working to help bring in people that can be leaders and that can help these people be happier. i can't stay here in Zacapa forever to help people or play the piano in sacrament meeting, and neither will elder Flores or his next comapnion, or the next missionaries. Whatever i can do to ensure that the area becomes more self-sufficient, i will do. 
i've now completed a third of my mission. (wow, time flies!) in all that time, i've learned a lot, but i want to share something that i've learned that's become a part of me.
i am completely powerless without my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. i don't want that to sound depressing, but i went through a time period where i tried to convince people with my own knowledge and my own talent. But the work isn't about me. It's never been about me. It's not my mission. One of my favorite scriptures is found in Matthew 11:28-30: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." i have been awed and inspired by what the Lord can do in the lives of people. what has even more awed and inspired me is that God has chosen to use me as his instrument in helping the people. i still have a lot to learn, and a lot of peopel to find and help, but i know that God will help me.
Oh, why should we wander as strangers from Him
and turn from bounteous hand?
He'll restore and defend us, and set us free,
and beside Him we ever will stand.
I love you guys! Thank you for writing!


--
Elder Jeffrey Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment