Monday, April 25, 2016

Week 38 - El Roble, Guatemala City!

Hey Everyone!

The last time you guys heard from me, I was taking my suitcases to the bus station to leave Zacapa. Now I'm in the inner city, Zone 6! The zone is small- there's only ten missionaries- but it's good. When I lived in Zacapa, I really got used to the heat. Here, the average temperature is something like you would find in San Francisco, and it's really, really cold! (ai ai ai esta temperatura me mata... pero bueno) Here, in the city, the church is MUCH bigger.

We've had a lot of success this first week together. My new companion, Elder Alvarado, from Honduras, is only one change away from finishing his mission, and he's what we call "baggy" in the mission, which basically means he's already got his suitcase packed and when he's not working, he's thinking about the airplane home. But that's all right- he still works, and he's a good guy. I think we're gonna get along fine. One of the things I've been thinking about is the kind of person that I want to be when I finish my mission (that naturally happens when you have a companion like mine) and what I've learned this week is that if I really want to be converted to the Savior, Jesus Christ and his teachings; if I really want to help people the same way that He helped them, it’s going to require a LOT more of my soul. It's one thing to be a missionary; it's another thing to be a disciple of Christ. I have so much more than I can give to the field and to the work if I really try. 


Another thing I've been thinking about is prayer. How many of you guys are praying every day to our Father in Heaven? I invite you all to pray often, alone and in family, private and in church. Now don't pray just to pray- or even worse, don't pray because I told you to or so that other people can see you- when you pray, pray with full desire and intent to receive your answers. Prayer is a sacred time; when we pray, we communicate with the all-powerful, all-knowing, Supreme Being; our Father in Heaven. When you pray, pray with this in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment